Today, soon spring, I thought, well, let’s cook a fresh dish, soft and creamy. So as first recipe, I want to share with you something from my ‘old country’ where I was born, the beautiful Piedmont…the real Italian Risotto agli Asparagi!!!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
- 2 cups of Arborio Rice
- 8 to 9 Cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ¾ scallions chopped or 1 medium onion
- 2 bay leaves, Italian parseley
- Half of asparagus bunch, cooked and cut into ¾ inches pieces
- ½ a cup of dry white wine, at temperature
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a cup of grated parmesan or pecorino mixed
- salt and pepper, a sprinkle of grated nutmeg
How you make it:
I generally use 3 saucepans, one for the broth, one for the asparagus and herbs and one for the risotto.
- Bring to heat the broth, reserve , then in a small saucepan, add 1 tbs. of olive oil, 1 scallion chopped; let them be translucent, add the asparagus, a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and when the asparagus start to be tender, add a small ladle of broth, bay leaves and chopped Italian parsley. Cover, reduce heat to low and let it simmer about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside, uncover.
- On a wide heavy saucepan, melt the remaining butter with the olive oil over medium heat, add 3 chopped scallions, let them be translucent, about 4/5 minutes. Add the rice and stir, let it cook about 4 minutes until the rice grains are translucent too.
- This is the delicate part!! do not let to burn or to brown the grains! Add all the white wine and cover with one of 2 ladles of broth, just enough to cover the rice on the top. Stir and reduce the heat to low, let it cook uncovered till first liquid is absorbed.
Serve it now, it will be creamy and delizioso! as a main dish or as side dish with a lemony grilled cod or an herby chicken breast. Enjoy!!!Now that we did the cooking, I would be so happy to have your comments, ideas…