All Mediterranean flavors blend in this simple, wonderful dish – but so versatile!! – prepared with colorful peppers, few slices of tomato basil, onion and garlic. Delicious…!!!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
- ¼ of cup of a good Italian olive oil
- 2 medium onions sliced thin
- 4 – 5 garlic gloves chopped thin
- 1 or 2 yellow peppers, seeded, slices cut in 3/4 pieces
- 1 red pepper slices cut in pieces
- 1 green pepper, slices cut in pieces
- 1 medium juicy tomato, clean and sliced
- fresh basil, fresh parsley, dried thyme and/or oregano
- 1/4 cup of lukewarm water
How you make it:
- In a medium large skillet, heat olive oil and start with garlic(reserve 1 glove) at medium heat. Heat 1-2 minutes. Add ½ onions, stir, heat until onions are translucent and start to brown.
- Add peppers, remaining onions and saute’, stirring often 8 minutes, sprinkle 2 good pinches of salt.
- When the mix start to wilt, add tomatoes, remaining garlic, ¼ of a cup of lukewarm water, fresh parsley, dried oregano. Cover, cook at medium low heat for a few minutes, stirring few times. Uncover, medium heat, stir well, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle some olive oil over the mix, let it cook 3 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add as final touch a good handful chopped fresh basil. (If you like peppers with a lot of crunch, cooking time should be around 12-15 minutes, if you like them stewed, as Italians do, cooking time should be at least 20 minutes).
La peperonata é pronta, deliziosa!!!!Follow my suggestions and tips as versatile versions of this simple dish
- With pasta or rice, as sauce
- With sausages as entree
- With scramble eggs, as an healthy breakfast