It’s a real Italian favorite, where flavors enthusiastically melt slowly and deliciously in your mouth, filling it with happiness.
These tender little meat bundles will make your palate sing… wanting more and more!
Served with a porcini risotto, white steaming rice or polenta, they are assolutamente deliziosi!!!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
- 8 to 10 slices of pancetta
- thin slices of smoked mozzarella
- several sage leaves
- parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup or more of chopped onion
- 1/4 of white wine at room temperature
- 1/4 warm chicken broth
- 6-7 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of liquid heavy cream
- salt and pepper
How you make it:
- Lay the meat on cutting board, slightly sprinkle with pepper, and lay in the center of each piece 1 pancetta slice, 1 or 2 thin pieces of smoked mozzarella, 2 sage leaves, few parsley leaves.
- Starting from the narrow end roll the meat to form a tidy bundle generally top to down, secure well the ends.
- Secure with toothpicks across the center too.
- On a bottom flat skillet heat the olive oil with 2/3 of the onions medium heat, until onions soft translucent, add the involtini, let them cook at low heat, turning carefully several times, until well browned on each side. About 8 – 10 minutes. While cooking add remaining onions, some few pieces of pancetta.
- At this point, add the white wine, we called it in Italy “sfumare col vino”. Let cook, medium low for 2 more minutes, add 2 tablespoon of warm chicken broth. Cook 2 more minutes, add cream. Cook 1 minute till cream whisked with a fork has combined to the meat/pancetta sauce. And serve with a porcini risotto, or white steaming rice or polenta.