In Paris in the 1860, a joyful opera named “The Beautiful Helen” was a real success… everybody loved it at the point that some inspired chefs, created a dessert for the opera amateurs and everybody else called Poires Belle Hélène. Pears were poached in pear brandy and covered with melting chocolate… delicieux!!!
Here the crèpe version brings a base to the pears and chocolate, still keeping the soft, delicate taste of the original recipe!
Delizie, melting in your mouth!
Ingredients: yield 18-20 crèpes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch teaspoon salt
- butter melted around 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
How you make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, pour flour and eggs. Using a electric hand mixer or a mixer , start by whisking the mixture only when gradually adding the milk slowly .Whisk well, very well, add the salt and butter/oil continue beating with an electric beater if possible till the batter becomes very smooth.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour up 1 to overnight, allowing all ingredients to combine.
- Heat at medium high temperature a round heavy bottom medium skillet, spray with butter/oil or grease it using a thick kitchen paper towel – grease well all surface, pan should be hot when starting. Use a long metallic spatula, well greased to flip the crepe.
- Pour 1/4 of a cup or about 1/2 a ladle of batter, tilt the pan so the batter swirls evenly and covers the surface, cook about 2 minutes. when the crèpe surface is equally cooked gently flip it, using a long metallic spatula, cook 1 or 2 more minutes. Repeat, making sure that your pan is always well greased, hot not burning, so is the spatula.
- Stack your crèpes on a large plate, when done, cover with a paper towel or towel to keep it soft and moist.
- This batter can be used for savory or sweet crepes…. Let your creativity go wild !!!!
Ingredients: pears filling
- 3 pears sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of Brandy
- chocolate sauce, (homemade or store bought)
How you make it:
- Slice the pears ahead, in thin slices, in a well greased pan with melting butter skillet, sautè briefly pears.
- Add 2 tabs of sugar and less of 1/4 of brandy, Cointreau , Cognac or any matching fruit liqueur, let evaporate for 2 more minutes. Reserve.
- Finally, using the same crèpes skillet, well greased again with a teaspoon of butter, at low heat, add 1 crèpe. On the lower side add some pears slices, fold the other side over (like in a omelet). Warm it up and if possible turn it once…
- Serve on plate, pour some chocolate sauce swirls, add whipping cream and/or 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Eat immediately, delights, delizie, melting in your mouth!
All the other VERY FRENCH RECIPES >