This lovely salad offers everything you want from a fresh, inexpensive summer dinner or healthful lunch.
The sunny mix of melon sweetness, brings up the salty creamy taste of a blue cheese, when the basil adds freshness of summer garden breezes…..!!!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
- 1 Boston lettuce
- 2 cups of tender spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cup of pre cut melon pieces or small round melon balls
- some fresh basil leaves thinly chopped
- about 1 and 1/2 cup of blue creamy blue cheese, in pieces
- Stilton, Roquefort, Fourme d’Ambert or crumble blue cheese not Gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup of thick cut champignons
Ingredients: for the Vinaigrette
- 7 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoon of Blueberry or Raspberry flavored balsamic Glaze (like the one I used here a good balsamic Blueberry glaze)
- good pinches salt and pepper
How you make it:
- Start the vinaigrette, combining all ingredients, whisking very well. The key ingredient here is the balsamic glaze, that brings sweet syrupy density to the sauce adding a lot of fruit flavors to it. Adjust salt and pepper.
- While preparing the vinaigrette refrigerate the melon, spinach and lettuce. In individual salad bowls or in a large one, lay first lettuce leaves cut in half than the spinach leaves and champignons. Pour over some vinaigrette, add melon pieces, blue cheese pieces, pour some more balsamic sauce, fold basil leaves, chop it using a sharp knife or scissors thinly. Add and decorate.
Some few hints to make it perfect:
Invest in a good fruity Balsamic glaze that you can also use for grilling, or cheeses. An optional can be a teaspoon of honey and one more teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. If you like the small melon round balls, use an apple scooper spoon, carving it when melon is still cold. Refrigerate covered till before serving time. Deliziosa!
All the other SALADS >