It is a simple refined Italian recipe, made with few ingredients, here with veal but also delicious with chicken.
Ingredients: yield 6 servings
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 6 flattened medium size veal scaloppini
- 2 pounds thinly sliced veal scaloppini
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 or 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 inch thick slice of butter
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 teaspoons capers
How you make it:
The main secret here is that the veal piece (or chicken) shall be well flat.
- Prepare on the stovetop a large saucepan, pour oil and butter.
- In 2 shallow dishes have in one eggs beaten with salt and pepper, bread crumbs in the other. Have a large plate ready. Place the veal scaloppine in egg mixture, let stand a minute or two.
- Working one piece of veal at time, place the veal piece into bread crumbs and press gently but firmly on each side, reserve on the large plate. Work one by one in the same way each piece of meat.
- Now, heat oil and butter in the large skillet, on hight to medium high, place the scaloppini. Let it brown without burning) for about 3/4 minutes.
- Using tongs turn it gently on other side, slowing the temperature to medium, let it cook for 3/4 more minutes. Check the crust, it should be golden brown on each side but not burned…
- Place each piece on plate with paper towel. Do not use the oven as the veal will dry, just cover with foil, till all is fried. Serve with lemon wedges, a teaspoon or two of capers, small potatoes sautè, a fresh salad with shaved parmesan…
A tavola, Buonissimo, Buon Appettito!!!