A wonderful bunch of fresh arugula added to some few ingredients in my refrigerator, inspired me for a crunchy salad with some ‘hot’ flavors.
Easy and quick done, and the bonus is that one sauce will make two meals:
1. Sun Dried Tomatoes Rotini Pasta Salad with Fresh Arugula and Pepperoni
2. Sun Dried Tomatoes and Garlic Creamy Sauce Rotinis
It doesn’t get any better than that!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of thinly chopped onions
- 3 gloves of garlic thinly slices
- 2/3 of cup of red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- half of a red jalapeno thinly sliced or few flakes of red pepper
- a jar of sun dried tomatos
- few thin slices of hot pepperoni or chorizo
- 1 tablespoon of fresh scallions thinly chopped
- 3 small medium tomatos cut in small quarters
- 1/2 or more cup of fresh arugula leaves
- 3 cups of rotini pasta or other short cut pasta, farfalle, radiatore
- 1/4 of cup of lemon
How you make it:
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons and heat olive oil in heavy bottom skillet, add onion, slices of garlic, of bell pepper (reserve some for the salad) and let slowly cook for 3 to 5 minutes to soften without burning.
- When onions and garlic become transparent add the fresh tomatoes quarters, 3- 4 or more sun dried tomatoes cut in half, few slices of jalapeno and let cook slowly for 5 more minutes.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according package direction – rinse with cold water, drain, reserve the part of pasta for the salad.
- our in a bowl olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper, herbs salt and pepper whisk until combined.
- In a salad bowl add cold pasta, a good tablespoon or two of warm tomato garlic sauce toss well, salt and pepper, add fresh leaves of arugula, few raw bell pepper slices, pour the olive oil /lemon sauce slices of pepperoni, sprinkle well with parmesan.
- Cover and refrigerate if possible or enjoy immediately.
Sun Dried Tomatoes and Garlic Creamy Sauce Rotinis
In the same skillet with the sun dried tomatoes sauce (just prepared for the pepperoni salad) on low heat, add 4 tablespoons of light cream, add pasta, toss well to combine, sprinkle red flakes, salt and pepper to taste, toss again, and serve in a pasta bowl with 4 /5 tablespoons of parmesan.