Polenta it’s a staple food of Northern Italy.
In the past, it was a meal of the poors, and was enhanced with all possible sauces and cheese. In this recipe, melting earthy flavors of ragù, soft and tasty polenta combine with a light crispy wine sauce for a chicken beef or veal bistecca, at your pleasure!
Ingredients: yield 4 servings
The Sausage Ragù
- 3 mild Italian sausages
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 taablespoon of olive oil
- 3 medium red or yellow fresh tomatoes, crushed, or ½ cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 glass of red wine
- few tablespoon of warm water (optonal)
For the Polenta
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of yellow corn polenta
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 or 1 cup of light cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of grated fontina cheese
For the Bistecca
- 4 flat steaks
- 2/3 of a glass of white wine
- 1 tablespoon fo fresh chopped herbs or dry
- 2 tablespoons of ground pepper
- pinches of salt at your taste
- 1 inch slice of butter
How you make it:
- Start with a medium skillet, sprayed with olive oil, over high medium heat; add small chunks of the chair of sausages, previously prepared, cook till browned, add the garlic pressed or crushed, salt and pepper; stir frequently and follow (not to burned it!).
- Adjust with few drops of warm water to avoid burning if necessary When the sausages chunks are well browned, add the wine, let it evaporate, stir, add tomatoes pureed or chopped. Adjust seasoning. Mix well. Lower heat to medium low, cover, checking frequently. Keep warm. The consistency and smoothness should be like a smooth ragù and tomatoes-sausages proportions should be equal.
- For the Polenta — In a large thick sauce pan, boil salted water, pour polenta and stir constantly, add butter, stir; when well thickened add cream, 2/3 of fontina cheese. Stir well again. Reserve. Sprinkle remaining cheese when served hot – polenta should be creamy soft but no too salty.
- For the Bistecca — Meanwhile in a medium skillet, sprayed with butter spray, place steaks and cook it gently over mediun low, add salt and ½ of pepper, turn it once. Cook it trough, add white wine, pepper, fresh herbs, cook for 2 -3 more minutes. Adjust steaks cooking doeness to your taste!
Serve immediately, Arrivederci!