All October flavors combine in this comfort dish yet the gourmet porcini leeks sausage ragù brings some delicacies. The perfect meal to enjoy together around the dinner table after long walks on Halloween fresh nights.
Earthy perfumes, warm pappardelle and the best leftover (if that happens!) of all!
Ingredients: yield 6 servings
- 2 mild Italian sausages, chair only chopped in small pieces
- 1 hot Italian sausage prepared as above
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of light vegetable spread or butter
- 1+1/2 cup of porcini or shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 1 large leek sliced and diced
- 1/2 cup of onions diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh tomato diced
- 2 garlic gloves sliced
- 8 oz. of excellent quality large pappardelle
- salt and pepper 1 teaspoon each or to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of good store bought tomato sauce (basil or mushrooms) I used ‘truffles’
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh persil
How you make it:
For a better cooking of different ingredients textures, I always use 2 skillets.
- In a first large nonstick skillet, add sausages meat, let it brown, without burning, remove then fat, reserve.
- In the same skillet add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, leeks and onions, cook until translucent,then add sausages, white wine, adjust salt and pepper, add diced tomatoes, saute for 4 minutes, add broth just covering the sausage meat then reduce heat, cover skillet and slowly simmer.
- In the same time, on the second skillet add butter or vegetable spread, 1 tbs of olive oil, porcini,garlic glove, sauté for 3 minutes, add few tablespoons of broth, salt and pepper, simmer covered. When porcini are cooked, add to the sausages ragù, mix well, add the store bought tomato sauce, some more broth if needed, cover and let simmer.
The longer the ragù can cook, slowly, covered, the better!
The ragù should be consistent, but still some good liquid on the bottom.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil, then cook pasta, stirring occasionally, between 9 to 11 minutes according to package instructions, then drain.
For serving using each plate, in the Italian way, add pasta first to the plate, then top with porcini sausages ragù sprinkle with parmesan, ground pepper and remaining persil.Serve immediately.
Presto Presto, tutti a tavola, é buonissimo!!!
Good quality whole wheat pasta can be an healthier option, higher in fiber.