Here my friends is a really rewarding salad, combining a mix of October flavors (I forgot to mention the mushrooms), that comes together to bring a bunch of crunchy and softy tastes, cold and warm ingredients mixing beautifully.
Ingredients:yield 2-3 servings
- 1 Radicchio head
- 3 cups of mache, or mix of salad greens, washed and dried
- 2/3 cup of sliced small portobello mushrooms
- 1 glove of garlic
- 1 + 1/2 cup of whole wheat fusilli pasta uncooked
- 2/3 of cup crumbled blue cheese like Stilton, Roquefort or other
- 1 small to medium sweet apple, like golden delicious, peeled, sliced or cubed, core trimmed away
- 2 small chicken or pork bockwurst or ,thinly sliced
- 2 good tablespoons of mustard (preferably the strong type)
- 1/4 of cup of half and half
- 2 good tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider ( optional)
- 2 tablespoons of mild olive oil
- salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
How you make it:
The creamy apple cider vinaigrette
- Stir well together mustard and half and half add apple cider and cider, enough olive oil to make half a cup, salt, fresh ground pepper to taste. whisk well.
- Slice 1/ 2 of radicchio head, mushrooms, chop garlic glove, cook in a a skillet over medium heat, previously sprayed with cooking spray, sauté few minutes, adding 2 spoon of warm water at the end, salt and pepper. Let reduce and set aside to cool some.
- Prepare bockwurst following package suggestions.
- Boil in a medium stove pan fusilli, (whole wheat pasta needs not to be overcooked), drain set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss, starting with mache or green leaves, fusilli even if lukewarm, add sliced apple, bockwurst thinly sliced, cooked radicchio mushrooms mixture, top with Roquefort or Blue cheese crumbles, salt mix lightly , add some few chopped raw radicchio and finish with the creamy apple cider vinaigrette.