This quick and easy but so tasteful grilled sandwich or ‘panino’ (the Italian name for grilled sandwich on press) will satisfy any palate! Easy to assemble and to prepare, it requires, when shopping with a grilled sandwich in mind, to pay attention to few important details and ingredients like the panini press, but mainly the bread!
Inspired, while reading an article about sandwiches by Daniel Leader, a great baker in the Catskills, NY, and having some good roast beef leftovers, I was able to put together and share with you a really great grilled beef sandwich recipe. It is easier than you think to be creative with some leftovers, good slices of bread, and a panini press!
One last word, roast beef works well here but grilled steaks slices or ground beef patties will do even better!
Ingredients: yield 2 servings
- 6 not too thick slices of roast beef or two small not too thick steaks or beef patties
- 3 to 4 tablespoons from medium onions thinly sliced, previously caramelized
- few gorgonzola or roquefort crumbles as you like
- 1 cup chopped romaine salad, washed and dried
- 2 or 3 good tablespoons red pepper mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- 5 tablespoons of oilve oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Light mustardy Ceasar vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon of light mustard
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- few shavings of Parmesan cheese (optional)
Over medium low heat, add olive oil to a medium skillet, add onions, brown sugar, cook at low heat about 30 to 40 minutes stirring often till wonderfully browned. Keep leftovers tightly covered in refrigerator.(source D.Leader)
How you make it:
Heat the sandwich press well hot.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon of mustard, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, sprinkle lemon juice, stir well, toss well hearts of romaine, salt and pepper to taste, add few grated Parmesan cheese, if you like (I just skipped here)
- In a smaller bowl mix 1/2 cup of, mayonnaise with a teaspoon or 2, depending on your taste, of cayenne red-pepper, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Brush your steaks or patties with 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and grill them 3 minutes till cooked through on the press or on ‘grill’ skillet or a medium size skillet. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While steaks are grilling, prepare a 1/3 of french baguette (bought at at Panera’s bread) about 6 inches long split in half, then spread with a butter knife 1 teaspoon of red pepper mayonnaise, add few caramelized onions, lay over the onions steaks or sliced roast beef, top with few onions at your taste, add Ceasar salad and blue cheese crumbles. Top well with remaining half, place on the press, pulling the top down, cook till browned till crisp.
Remove sandwiches and serve with potato chips or fries.