The classic wonderful all Italian dessert here revisited with a fresh crispy note of Limoncello, one of my gourmand husband preferred desserts, it is his birthday dessert
The Italian name of ‘pick me up“ is well deserved. From the traditional classic coffee cocoa and rum, to the lemon or strawberry, version a wonderful piece of Tiramisù will pick you up, for sure.
It’s orignal creation is a mystery, two cities in Italy, Treviso (north of Venice) and Siena are at war and contend for the price. I have a preference for Treviso, where the story goes that the daughter of a city well known restaurant invented it one day and she was called then Tiramisù.
In fact, I think that she was beautiful and talented, all Italians guys around wanted to ‘pick her up”. So the name came…Tiramisù baby!
Ingredients: 8 servings
- 2 or 3 packages of Lady fingers (Savoiardi) about 60 pieces depending or you plate size
- 6 eggs yolks
- 1 +1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese
- 1 + 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1/+ 1/4 of cup of water
- 2 to 3 slices of butter
- 5 organic lemons for lemon zest, lemon peel, lemon juice
- 1/4 of cup or more of Limoncello di Capri
- 1+ 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 of a cup or 1 cup of sugar
How you make it:
- Clean well your lemons, prepare some lemon zest, reserve. Peel a second lemon, add zest and peels to the water, bring to boil, boil for 3 minutes at low heat, let it cool, add Limoncello and reserve.
- Squeeze 1 lemon juice. Set aside.
- Prepare the lemon cream: mix the egg yolks with sugar in a large bowl. Now place the bowl over a pan with simmering water, beat for 5 minutes till color is creamy lightly yellow. Filter and pour the lemon juice into cream. Add butter, mix well. Set aside to cool.
- In a second bowl whip cream till it forms soft peaks, reserve.
- Combine lemon cream with mascarpone, then nicely and slowly fold whipped cream softly with a spatula, till no white peaks remain. Set aside.
- Into one large plate (I use a oven medium plate) pour the Limoncello/ lemon mixture.
- Prepare a baking dish, glass or ceramic, about 13×9 inches or larger, working one at the time, dip ladyfingers, into the Limoncello bath, 2 o 3 at time, roll it, do not submerge, and start arranging, tightly into your baking dish.
- Prepare a first layer, neatly breaking and filling the sides, all cookies tighlty lined up at the bottom of first layer.
Spread the mascarpone, lemon cream mixture, sprinkle with lemon zest (I also dust lightly some grated semi-sweet chocolate).
- Repeat the laying and dipping of cookies for a second layer, add the remaining mascarpone mixture, sprinkle lemon zest, dust with cocoa. Wipe the dish with a paper towel, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 4 hours to 24 hours!
To serve, cut into squares, serve cold, with a warm cappucino and now….. going to heaven!!
All the other VERY ITALIAN RECIPES >