This recipe is completely inspired by the famous P. F. Chang’s version (source Tod Wilbur).
Lettuce wraps are really fun finger food for parties, a cool combination of cold and warm ingredients, as lettuce leaves are easy to grasp as cup and contain well chicken and sauce mixture. The sauce is outstanding and it’s what makes this wonderful appetizer a success. Your friends will love it ! Try it!!
- 5 skinless chicken breasts, diced in small cubes
- 5 tablespoons of oil – vegetable oil and/or sesame oil
- 1 cup water chestnut diced small
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms diced small
- 4 tablespoons chopped onions or shallots
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 12 to 15 leaves of Boston or butter lettuce or Iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup of peanuts
- few thin slices of ginger
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons hoisin suce
- you can add carrots and bean sprouts
Serving/dipping sauce :
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 to 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
How to make it :
- Prepare the dipping sauce, mixing water and sugar, then add all other ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Dice chicken, chestnuts, mushrooms.
- Heat oil in large wok, well hot saute’ chicken only first, for 4 to 5 minutes or more till chicken has browned, then add garlic, onions, or shallots ,mushrooms, stir fry sauce, sautè hot, add ginger, stirring constantly, adding at last peanuts. Adjust if necessary with soy or hoisin sauce or more chili sauce at your taste.
- Serve stir fried chicken in large bowl, lettuce leaves and sauce on the side so everybody can make its own wraps.
It’s fun fresh, delicious! Enjoy with a fresh white wine.
All the other SPECIAL CHRISTMAS RECIPES >