The famous sandwich from New Orleans is a real feast! You can have it as lunch, dinner or finger food at your parties, in small cuts, it is always a success!
I had this in mind since a while, and a wonderful ciabatta loaf, sitting on my kitchen counter was to much to bear! After a quick inventory in my refrigerator, I had a bunch of ingredients required except the famous Olive Salad!!!
Luckily I found a great store bought Olive tapenade (which is not the really thing, but you do what you can when really hungry or fixed on a recipe, right?) plus some good leftovers from the spicy tomato relish prepared for the Eggs Mexicano.
The ciabatta bread pushing me to fill it, what can I say? et Voilà!!! My homemade version of muffaletta!!
Ingredients: serve 4 as sandwich
- 1 good loaf ciabatta bread
- 4 to 5 oz mortadella, thin slices
- 4 oz ham, thin slices
- 4 oz culatello or cappocolo, sliced thin
- 4 to 6 thin slices provolone cheese
- 6 to 8 thin slices good Genoa Salami or pepperoni
- 6 slices American cheese or Mozzarella, sliced thin
- 4 to 6 tablespoons Green Olive Tapenade
- Spicy tomato relish if available (see Eggs Mexicano recipe)
How to make it:
- Slice the loaf in half lenghtwise.
- Open the sandwich, remove some doughy if necessary.
- Spread each side with the green olive tapenade, add a little more on the bottom side, then alternate starting with the culatello, add provolone, then mortadella and /or ham, mozzarella or American cheese, Genoa Salami, the tomato relish finally top it with bread slice. In fact fill it at your pleasure!
- Wrap it in plastic paper and let the sandwich to slowly absorb all the flavors.
- You could quarter it and serve it now. It is extremely good like that. I know that it’s served cold in New Orleans, but I love warm sandwiches, so while the sandwich is sitting, flavoring up, warm your sandwich press, than grill it like a wonderful Panino!!!
- Eat it warm, standing, walking, sharing or sitting with your best soft drink or a glass of red wine!!
Delicieux (yes it is New Orleans after all!), delizioso, delicious!!