These lamb chops are even more delicious when presented and eaten lollipop style, quickly done for a feisty dinner, and could be replaced by a small veal or pork chop.
Black pepper, balsamic fruit glaze (ready made), rosemary and garlic add a lot of flavors to a wonderful second course.
Scottadito means “scorch fingers” in Italian, if you held the chops by the small bones once warm. Deliciously Hot!!!
Ingredients: serves 2
- 1 rack of lamb, about 10 to 12 ribs, trimmed of some fat or 10 individual rib lamb chops
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarsely ground black pepper (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes (like Yukon gold) cut in wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil for potatoes
- 2 fresh branches rosemary
- 1/3 cup parsley garlic mix chopped thin
- (made with 3 chopped garlic gloves and 1/4 cup of parsley)
- Balsamic glaze (cherry, blueberry, peach), stor bought
How to make it:
- Lightly pound each chop between two sheets of plastic wrap, till they are 1/4 inch thick or at your taste.
- Heat oven at 200F, prepare an oven proof plate.
- In a shallow plate pour ground black pepper, coat each chop on one side only. Season well other side with salt.
- Add to a large non stick skillet (or grill) over medium high, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, well sprayed, cook lamb chops in 2 batches at your preferred doneness, turning carefully only once, about 5 minutes if you like it medium rare, 4 minutes more is you like it well done.
- Reserve in the oven, slightly covered with foil if potatoes are not done.
Roasted rosemary garlicky potatoes :
- Chop in thin pieces garlic gloves together with parley leaves.
- Peel and cut potatoes in medium wedges, pat dry in a towel, add to a medium skillet 1/3 cup of olive oil, roast over medium low heat for 20 minutes, add fresh rosemary salt and pepper at your taste.
- Raising heat, roast for the last 5 minutes at higher temperature till potatoes are well golden brown making sure they are not burned, (follow well turning lightly). Then coat with parsley garlic mixture, tossing carefully with tongs for about 1 minute.
While chops and potatoes are sizzling, steam asparagus (it can be done 1 hour ahead) and reserve till serving.
On a serving plate, add 3 to 4 lamb chops, a small serving of potatoes, few asparagus, sprinkle asparagus with salt, glazed them as well as chops with some drizzles of cherry balsamic glaze swirls.
To be enjoyed warm with a great California Shiraz!!!
Tips- Planing your main course.
- Start with the potatoes, you can always keep them warm, at very low temperature in the stove, while sizzling the lamb chops and steaming the asparagus.
- Steam asparagus, reserve slightly covered in the oven.
- Finally sizzle well your lamb chops and done! The all cooking time should not take more than 35 minutes, start to finish.
If you are serving veal or pork chops, take the time to make them not too thick and well done, inserting a knife in the center to check if they are done. Let them cook at least 5 minutes more, without burning.
All the other ITALIAN RECIPES >