I am a little late with this post, I have so many dishes to share!
Monday night, searching for dinner inspiration, I was browsing Mario Batali’s beautiful book, Molto Italiano, (one of my all times favorites) and stumbled over this recipe! The picture was so appealing, so the choice was easy to make, luckily enough I had almost all ingredients at home!!
Even if my humble version is much more ‘homemade’ than his succulent dish, the taste of this quick pasta is superb!
- 8 oz of Egg thin tagliatelle with spinach
- 1 cup to 1 +1/2 cup basic store bought tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 fresh medium tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for fresh tomatoes
- 4 dollops Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- fresh roughly chopped basil
How to make it :
- Heat oven at 375F.
- Prepare a quick tomato sauce, adding to a medium large heavy skillet, 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, chopped onion, 1 garlic glove, cook till both are fragrant, then add the store bought tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes at low heat, stirring once and reserve.
- On a board, chop together, parsley leaves with remaining garlic glove, till thinly chopped. Cut fresh tomatoes in slices 1/4 inc. thick.
- On baking a dish, line your tomatoes, sprinkle with the parsley-garlic mixture, salt and pepper and drizzle well with olive oil.
- Place dish in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes till tomatoes are soft, not browned, remove from oven and reserve.
- Place the tomato sauce in a blender, blend till smooth, then return it to the pan.
- While tomatoes are in the oven, bring a large pot of salted water to boil (plus 2 tablespoons of salt).
- In a bowl, or in the blender, whisk well mascarpone and black pepper till all combined, and smooth. (to soften mascarpone add 2 teaspoon of milk if necessary).
- Drop pasta into boiling water, cook following package directions, about 3 minutes. Drain, add pasta (make sure to keep some pasta water) to the tomatoes sauce skillet at medium heat.
- Toss well all together for 1 minute, here you could add the oven baked tomatoes or not, as you like.
- For serving :
- Serve pasta on each warm plate, add basil roughly chopped, oven fresh tomatoes, drop a dollop of mascarpone on each and serve immediately.!! Buonissimo, Buon appetito!!!