This post is dedicated to all my friends of the Coffee and Contact group, and Women Power Networking, busy women looking forward to prepare a fast, tasty yet affordable recipe for their family dinner.
It’s inspired from one of my French everyday meals, and could be done with chicken breasts, or like in France with rabbit…ehehe…
No rabbit here, juicy pork chops instead, if you treat them well :)… as their meat gives a fulfilling meal yet lean and takes the mustardy sauce very well, adding a some flavorful punch to it.
Serve it with any side dish you like, here I had asparagus and petite potatoes, comforting but light…
Ingredients: 4 servings
- 4 pork chops ( 1 to 1+ 1/4 inc. thick) less thick will cook faster
- 3 tablespoons olive oils
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (not grainy) or Honey mustard.
- 1 cup creme fraiche or
- 1 1/4 heavy cream or light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups Knorr cube vegetable or chicken bouillon
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1 pinch sugar
- 1 glass of white wine for marinade
- bay or sage dried leaves or any dried fines herbs for marinade
- 1 glass white wine (or less) for sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of flour (optional)
Tools: 2 large shallow dishes, large heavy skillet, wooden spoon, small pan for bouillon, small bowl, 1 large plate.
How you make it great :
Step 1: Marinade
- Start dinner prep. about 1/2 hour or more before cooking.
- Place in a shallow dish pork chops with white wine, bay leaves, oregano leaves , chopped carrots and celery, salt and a good pinch of sugar, cover the meat with water, just barely. Then cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator.
This step helps to tenderize the meat, more you leave it the better.
Step 2: Prep.
- Prepare a bouillon with 2 cups of lukewarm water and a bouillon cube (chicken or vegetable), have it ready and warm always.
- Cook your sides during marinade time. Boil, cool and peel petite potatoes, asparagus.
- Prepare a shallow dish with 1 cup of flour or 2 depending on your servings.
Step 3: Cooking the pork chops and mustard sauce
- When ready remove chops from marinade, pat them dry very well, reserve marinade.
- If using a skillet, not a grill pan, pass them very quickly into flour and shake excess well.
- Using a large skillet, (or working 2 chops at the time) add olive oil, then chopped onions, let cook till translucent, quickly remove onions and reserve in a bowl. Now add to skillet pork chops avoiding crowding it, and seared them well, 4 minutes each side, till brown, do not burn meat could be too dry, on high medium heat (they should slightly pink inside but pork needs to be done well).
- When done, remove chops from skillet, reserve warm on oven at 200F, or just on a warm plate covered with foil.
- Now, at medium heat, add onions to the skillet, with a wooden spoon, scraps meats bits, add 2 tablespoons of bouillon, white wine, carrots and 2 tablespoons from marinade, let liquid reduce some (not totally dry) stirring well, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, add some more bouillon, about 1/4 cup, mustard and whisk it well with a fork or the back of a spoon dissolve it, then add cream, whisk it, add pork chops, salt and freshly ground pepper, let it go for 1 to 2 minutes more. Adjust salt at your taste well, and pepper.
- If you grill pork chops, do not use flour with meat. Instead add it to your onions mixture and broth, when starting the mustard sauce, it helps to thicken sauce texture. Flour is necessary (1 to 2 tablespoons of it) if you are using liquid cream, not so much is using creme fraiche or heavy cream.
- Your sauce should be enough for all pork chops, work and add marinade liquid and bouillon or white wine, if you think you do not have enough..sauce needs to be smooth, sweet but tangy. If too tangy for you and family you can add some more liquid cream and/or 1 teaspoon of honey.
Serve on each plate, pork chop, potatoes, asparagus, pouring sauce over. Delightful, delicieux!
The all process does not take 50 minutes all together including marinade time (or more if you like it). Pork chops and mustard sauce should take about 15-18 minutes to prepare.
Bon appetit à vous tous!!!! Enjoy all!!