One of my childhood preferred recipes, these soft mini potato gnocchi, fast sauté in a half/cooked “condimento”, meaning sauce, warm and cold. The peppery arugula brings such a freshness to the dish, the milky and smooth mozzarella adds sweetness. The dish is wonderful as it is, could also be served as a side.
Follow the recipe, you cannot miss it, it is easy, healthy, super fast, and you can adjust gnocchetti to a smaller portion, add some more tomato and arugula making a lukewarm trendy Italian salad!
Ingredients: Serves 4 as main or 6 as a side dish
- 1 16 oz. package mini potato Gnocchi
- 1 /2 fresh bunch arugula leaves chopped
- 2 large tomato chopped small
- 2 gloves garlic, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil + 2 when serving
- 1 8 oz packaged mozzarella, cut into cubes, or roughly shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan + some for serving
- salt and freshly ground pepper
How we make it :
- Chop the tomatoes into 1/4 inch cubes, reserve all their juices, shred gently arugula leaves in a bowl, prepare garlic gloves, shred roughly mozzarella in a second bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted with 1 tablespoon of salt to boil. While water is warming up, heat a 10–12 inches skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil and garlic, saute’ garlic till fragrant,about 30 seconds, add half of chopped tomatoes and their juices, reduce heat, saute’ for 2 minutes till soft.Do not let it dry.
- When water boils add gnocchetti and cook just shy of cooking time, about 1+1/2 minutes. When they float on surface they are to be drained. Add 2 tablespoons of gnocchis water to the sauce, warm the sauce quickly, add parmesan, then gnochetti quickly drained, toss 1 minute, adjust salt.
On each plate, serve gnocchetti portion first, add fresh tomatoes, add some arugula leaves, sprinkle with a touch of olive oil, top with shredded mozzarella, season with ground pepper.
Serve immtdiately with 3 bowls of fresh arugula leaves, tomatoes and mozzarella for more garnish…
Fast lane fantastic cooking!!!