Please don’t ask me why it is Monsieur Seguin who gave his name to this beautiful salad, I really can’t say, even if I have being living in France for years and prepared this dish many times, toutefois, however, this salad is, in all its simplicity so tasty and refined that you could cry… seriously.
The only requirement to make it like Mr Seguin wanted, meaning exceptional, is to use some pure high quality ingredients like a real French crottin, sorry, that’s the name of this particular type of individual goat cheese. As an option, I could only accept the individual ‘crottin’ made in Vermont, served warm with some fresh tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
The olive oil should be slightly sharp and balsamic vinegar instead more sweet than tart. Add a zesty sweetness from a fresh red onion and all ingredients are there to make you, your table guests… and Monsieur Seguin happy.
This dish is a wonderful summer dinner, appetizer or a light entree.
- 3 medium ripe yet firm fresh tomatoes
- 4 Crottins de Chavignol or French individual goat cheeses the one here La Coupole (from Whole Foods)
- 1 medium red onion sliced in rondelles, thin round slices or thinly chppped
- fresh thyme
- 1 french baguette, sliced
- 5 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and coarse pepper at your taste.
- 1 teaspoon of honey for each goat cheese.
- handful of capers (optional)
How you make it :
- Preheat the oven at 375F.
- In flat dish add baguettes slices, 1 tablespoon olive oil, fresh thyme a teaspoon of salt, mix well so that bread slices absorb olive oil.
- Lay baguette slices on a baking dish and place it in the warm oven 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice tomatoes thin and in a bowl, prepare tomato sala , add red onion, olive oil balsamic vinegar , salt and pepper fresh thyme. Reserve.
- On large baking dish, place the individual goat cheeses.
- Place bread slices and goat cheese dishes ( separate dishes) into the oven.
- Let the cheese warm up about 3-5 minutes (depending on goat cheese type) until the base of goat cheese starts to melt and to soften.
- Bread slices should be golden when done.
- Remove both dishes from the oven. Be ready to serve quickly.
On each plate, place the warm goat cheese on one side, top with 2 drops of honey, garnish with the tomato salad, adjust vinaigrette, salt and pepper, sprinkle with few capers (optional) and serve warm.
Chaud et froid mais delicieux. (Warm and cold delicious combination).
Did you know? Crottin is an old farmer artisan cheese name meaning… “little drop”…
It definitely deserves a better name considering its deliciousness…