Grilling for Independence Day is more than an American tradition, is now part of our life.
I have prepared two succulent hamburgers recipes, that I will post from now to Fourth of July. With these you can please a big crowd, just double or triple some ingredients and keep adjusting others at your taste.
- 1 ground lean ground Angus beef
- 1 to 2 tablespoons per patty or 1/2 to 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese like Gorgonzola, Stilton
- 2 or 3 teaspoons of Grilling seasoning like Mc Cormick Grill Mates for Hamburger
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 or 8 thin cucumber slices
- 4 thin tomatoes slices
- lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 4 thin Vidalia onion slices
- 1 /2 teaspoon Dijon mustard per patty
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to make it :
- Preheat the grill to high heat. (As the weather has been scorching hot , I have been grilling inside using a grill skillet). Use a good grilling skillet or outdoor grill.
- In a large bowl with very clean hands combine ground beef, salt ( I like to salt the meat before grilling) and seasoning. Mix well but lightly. Add fresh ground pepper.
- Form patties into 4 equal portions about 1/2 inch thick, pressing the center or each patty as a nickel size indentation. Add a drop of olive oil in the center to moist the meat.
- Have all vegetables sliced ready and bleu cheese crumbles on hand.
- Spray with cooking spray or oil your grill or the grill rack, place buns 2 minutes till they start to brown. Set side ready to go.
- Add hamburgers patties on grill, re greasing slightly if necessary, grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side , or more to your doneness making sure your patties do not become too dry.
- 1 minute before they are done, top with blue cheese crumbles and loosely cover with foil, so cheese melts.
- Meanwhile place the bottom buns on serving plate, spread it lightly with Dijon mustard, add salad, cucumber, tomatoes slices on one side, beef patty with melted cheese on the other. Top to form the Blue cheese Hamburger.
- Serve with crispy warm French fries, salted and sprinkled with grated Parmigiano!!!