Every bite of this splendid dessert is an absolute experience, my dessert lovers friends! The refreshing ultra light semifreddo with a rosemary/honey infusion served over the warmth of the roasted peach makes this an incredible unique delicacy.
If this does not make you go to heaven with gourmet food, I do not know what is..
I first tried this semifreddo recipe at a cooking class I took in NYC. In all sincerity I was dubious about the ice cream… Rosemary? I had had lavender already, wonderful, but rosemary generally is for savory dishes…. Well, you like me, will be totally enchanted as the ice cream taste is so subtle and herby, very refreshing, sweetened by the honey.
Yes, it’s an imposing name, on the contrary this lovely combination is easy to make, really easy.
Semifreddo being an Italian invention for almost ice cream, it literally means half cold, so when served it should be still slightly wobbly not ultra dense and compact.
We had this at my recent cooking class menu and everybody loved it. Try it, enjoy it with your friends on a hot summer evening, it’s delizioso, semplicemente delizioso..!!
The Oven Roasted Peaches
Ingredients : Serve 6
- 6 to 8 summer peaches, 1 per person
- 2 tablespoons butter or salted butter
- 2 to 3 pinches salt if not using salted butter
- 6 teaspoons (not full) white sugar(1 per peach)
- Honey to sprinkle lightly over peaches when roasted
How to make it :
- Peel sone peaches, 1 per person, cut it in half to remove the pit.
- Place it on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper, hollow side up, dot each half with salted butter ( if not using salted butter use butter and sprinkle lightly with salt).
- Sprinkle each half with about 1 teaspoon of white sugar, place it into a preheated oven at 425F for about 25 minutes or less until tender throughout.
The Rosemary Semifreddo
Ingredients : Serve 6 to 10
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 oz fresh rosemary ( springs or small branches)
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups heavy cream
How you make it
- Line a one quart mold or loaf pan, or individual ramekins instead, with plastic wrap, cut large enough to have overlapping sides.
- In a small saucepan add 1.2 cup of sugar, 1 cup water and bring to boil. Add rosemary, reduce heat to medium, simmer for 15 minutes till syrup is green and fragrant.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin powder, stir till combined. Let it cool.
- Separate egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, over a pot of gently boiling water, (water should not touch your bowl) beat yolks with 1/4 remaining cup pf sugar, add honey and beat using an electric mixer till all the mixture is creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes. When done, cool into refrigerator or over a large bowl filled with ice.
- Meanwhile beat heavy cream till creamy and whipped.
- Remove all sprigs and branches from rosemary syrup.
- Gently fold whipped cream, starting with a small batch, add rosemary syrup till combined. Slowly pour it into your plastic wrap lined mold carefully keeping the sides up, cover with overlapping sides and place it it into a freezer for at least 4 hours of more.
- 1 hour before serving, remove it from freezer, place it into refrigerator.
Before serving, be sure to adjust roasting peaches times with semifreddo cooling time.When peaches are ready to serve, spoon over a tablespoon of ice cream, sprinkle with chocolate and serve immediately.
Fantastic summer bliss…
(Semifreddo al rosmarino recipe by chef Giovanni Marzano, introduced and presented by Francine Segan’s class at ICE NYC.)