Buongiorno… good morning to you.It’s Sunday morning here in North America, great time for a good frittata, the one I like the best, with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella mixed with soft eggs! Frittatas are the Italian version of a quiche without a crust, close sisters of the French Omelettes. They are wonderful, as you can have and mix any ingredients you like, served directly from the pan for a fun family breakfast or baked in the oven in a instant as in this recipes.
They are served in Italy (leftovers or made fresh) in a sandwich for lunch. If you prefer,when serving, carefully slide the frittata and serve it on large plate, that is also easy to do. And for parties? delicious over warm crostini and fresh herbs…
Whatever you want to do with a frittata, it will give that back to you. You just need to follow some simple steps to make it fluffy, fun and flavorful a with the ingredients of your likes. It is a great dish to prepare with children or for your loved one for slow pace mornings to share. Simple pleasures of life… a frittata caprese, a Sunday morning.
Ingredients : Serves to 2 to 3-4
- 5 to 6 fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup or more cherry tomatoes cut in half or quarters
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves chopped in stripes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
How to prepare it :
Some few suggestions
To make this frittata a real success, have all your ingredients and kitchen tools ready.
Choose the right frying skillet with a long handle and ovenproof possibly.Cast iron pans are the best but if you do not have one,use a skillet big enough but not too much that will allow the frittata to slide. Have a long flat metal spatula and a rubber spatula and 2 medium bowls on hand.
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 425F.
- To a medium bowl add, precut tomatoes, basil and mozzarella, sprinkle with salt a touch (drop or 2 ) of olive oil, mix well and reserve for some minutes.
- In a second bowl, break the eggs, whisk with cram or milk, lus a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Coat the skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, (you will need some fat but not too much).Warm the oil, add eggs, cook over low medium heat, stirring once until the eggs start to set bit do not scramble. Slowly stir in tomatoes, basil, mozzarella mixture. Cook eggs without stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, till edges start to set.
- Transfer the pan to the oven, protect the handle with aluminum foil if necessary, let it cook for 5 minutes till center is just firm.
- Remove carefully using hot pads to the stovetop.
- A this point you could serve the frittata out of the frying pan, cutting wedges with the metallic spatula or hold a large platter over the top and turn the frittata into the the platter.
- Serve warm or lukewarm with your preferred side dish.