September fresh weather inspires two better than ever sandwiches, both with a touch of Italian taste, yet on a crunchy French baguette bread! You will not need to eat a boring takeout for your week days lunches, or no taste sandwiches from the vending machine. Instead bring yours to enjoy a midday break in the September sun!
If you keep your baguette (bought the day before) in its paper package, or well wrapped in clean towel, it should keep firm but soft for day. I use a small trick,just before to prepare the sandwich I heat up the bread in the oven for 2 to 4 minutes wrapped in a foil. Any of your favorite bread will do.
So,with a few variations from your creativity, prepared the night before and kept as fresh as possible, you can make for yourself a satisfying exciting meal to eat on the outdoors!!!
The Italian Prosciutto Club on baguette bread, pesto mayonnaise
For the Mayonnaise
- Using store bought pesto, combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 3 tablespoons of store bought pesto.
- Whisk well and set aside
- 1 or 2 teaspoons ground red pepper, or pepper flakes
For the onion relish
- 1 cup of diced or sliced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons extra olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
You will also need
- 2 medium roma or round fresh tomatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup of arugula leaves
- 4 strips of bacon
- 4 ultra thin slices of prosciutto
- few bell peppers strips (here from a jar of Mezzetta Deli Sliced sandwich bell pepper)
- 2 teaspoons vinaigrette
- Cut baguette in 3 thirds if a long one or 1/2 if small, then slice it in half.
- Brown the bacon strips and combine all ingredients of the onion relish in a small sauce pam and let it cook at low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, till onions are soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, pesto, and red flakes or red pepper, whisk well
- Spread pesto mayonnaise on each bread side using a small flat spatula or knife.
- On one side of bread, layer tomatoes slices, add 2 teaspoons of onions relish, few arugula leaves, sprinkle with vinaigrette, add bacon strips, On the other side add on bread with mayo, some tomatoes slices, the bell pepper strip then 2 prosciutto slices. Top the sandwich and ..done!!
- Wrap your sandwich in foil well till it is ready to go.
The Beef, Cheddar Sandwich, spicy mayonnaise
I used the same Pesto Mayonnaise and Onion relish than above, replacing prosciutto and bacon with few left overs of a roast beef. You could also use steak leftovers, sliced thin
You will also need
- 2 teaspoons of strong Yellow Mustard or Dijon
- 2 bacon strips (optional)
- 1 tomato sliced thin
- 1 kosher dill spear sliced
- 2 aged cheddar slices
- 1 teaspoon onion relish
- few bell peppers (Mezzetta in a jar) strips
Heat the oven at at 375F. Cut baguette in half, spread mayonnaise on half of bread , add tomatoes slices, cheddar and bacon. Spread the mustard on other side of bread ,add onion relish. Top sandwich, quickly place it in oven, wrapped in foil till cheese start to melt about 2 minutes.
Remove from oven, open sandwich, add steak or roast beef slices, over melted cheddar, add bell pepper strips, few rounds of dill spears, cover with the other half and .. it is good, very good to eat!!