Simplicity and great flavors enhance this international delightful breakfast, easy to prepare and to satisfy every appetite. The “French’ toast is an American favorite that adds sweetness to the Mediterranean flavors of the savory scrambled eggs.
This is a very easy and fun dish to make together with your kids or family members in the morning, as anyway, you will need several hands to serve it all together with warm and fluffy toasts out of the stove!!
The Scrambled eggs, with tomatoes and olives
Ingredients : Serve 4 to 6
- 4 small Roma tomatoes cut in tiny cubes or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 eggs (for 4 servings)
- 2 scallions chopped thin
- 1 cup green /black olives chopped in large pieces.
- 2 garlic cloves chopped thin
- fresh herbs – oregano thyme or basil
- 2 Tbsp olive extra vigin olive oil
- a good pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Crack eggs in a large bowl, quickly whisk them (not too much), with a pinch of salt.
Add olive oil to a good heavy medium skillet.Over medium – low heat add chopped scallions and saute, stirring and watching it, till translucent and soft. (make sure not to burn it). Add chopped tomatoes (keep some for garnish)and cook for about 10 minutes till the sauce is still dense but not too liquid.Add salt and pepper.
Now it is time to add eggs to the skillet, stirring them till scrambled, adding the green olives, one to two minutes before done. Remove from heat, sprinkle with herbs and serve immediately with the toasts.
French toasts and blueberries sauce
How to make it :
- 8 thick slices bread, preferably 1 day old
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- In a shallow bowl ( I use an oven large dish) crack eggs, add milk, cinnamon. Whisk the mixture wellDip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, let bread to soak some of the liquid.
- Melt some butter over a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add bread and brown it over medium heat, flipping once. Serve immediately
Fresh blueberry sauce
- 1 + 1/2 to 2 cups fresh, washed blueberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 tablespoons of sugar
(ingredients here are at your discretion, add more honey and less sugar at your taste)
You could use a blender, adding all ingredients and blending all till smooth or :
Combine the blueberries in a large heavy saucepan. Add 1 cup water and the lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.