Autumn is here, time of harvests, of beautiful red and golden colors from the maples leaves in North America, a time of bounteous fecundity, a time of ‘mellow fruitfulness’, like the poet wrote a long time ago.
Pumpkins, apples, mushrooms scents fill the crispy air of fields, wood smokes smells from fireplaces. My preferred season of all! How could I pass this superb sauce simply made with portobello mushrooms and spoons of the velvety Marsala wine from Sicily.
It’s the ” Marsala week ” here at Delizie Delizie, celebrating Fall with more recipes to come!! Let’ start with this fusilli pasta dish, that is prepared here in a creamy version, a dish for every time you need an inspiring meal for everyday dinner!
Ingredients: Serve 4
The Marsala Mushrooms Sauce
- 2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, such as porcini, and portobello, cremini or shiitake or mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 1/3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of beef or chicken, vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of chicken demi-glace (optional)
- 2 tablespoons per person of heavy liquid cream or 1 tablespoon per person mascarpone
- 1 package fusilli pasta
- 3 to 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella and provolone mix
Brush if using whole mushrooms,them than chop them roughly in 1/2 inc. cubes, for smaller one cut them in half
Melt, in a large skillet, over low to medium heat, half of butter with olive oil, add shallots, let them cook about 5 minutes till soft.
Add mushrooms over medium heat, 1 or 2 tablespoons of broth, saute’ for 5 minutes till they start to softened and change to a dark color. Stir well, add Marsala wine, demi-glace if using, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes, at low heat, adding remaining butter.
Let sauce reduce and to thicken.
While sauce is simmering, cut prosciutto in small trips or pieces, boil fusilli ‘ al dente’, drain well.
To serve : Prepare each plate, add pasta, mix with liquid cream (about 2 tablespoons each) mix well, add prosciutto, top with 1 tablespoon or more of Marsala mushrooms sauce, sprinkle well with grated provolone and/ or mozzarella…..