What a fantastic everyday dinner, lunch or party, are these chicken roulades!! let me tell you , they are so good warm but equally tasty when served cold.
Once you have finished the first roulade ,the others will come easy. I love to serve the chicken florentine cut in wheels with a warm cauliflower, jus boiled, well drained and saute’ in butter.
The paprika gives a spicy kick and the mozzarella melting over makes the creamy soft touch. When cut in wheels, four chicken breasts will serve at least 6 guests or leave you with some mouthwatering leftovers!
- 4 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 4 to 8 thin slices mozzarella
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach large leaves washed and dried or fresh spinach leaves in package
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (preferably fresh) or panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Good quality Paprika (here from The Spice Shop)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, + 2 for the cauliflower
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- grated parmesan for serving
Let’s make it !!:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, gently pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove the top sheet of plastic. Sprinkle chicken breast well with paprika, quickly salt and pepper, lay 2 slices of mozzarella over the top, add spinach leaves(if large fold them to cover the breasts neatly).
- Tuck in the sides of the breast and roll up tight up inside the plastic wrap. Squeeze the log gently to seal and twist both ends tight to form a nice log. Repeat with remaining chicken to have four rolls one for each chicken breast.
- Align 3 shallow dishes, add on each flour, beaten egg, breadcrumbs. Season each one, adding at least 1 tablespoons or 2 of paprika to the breadcrumbs.
- Remove chicken plastic wrap. If needed,fix each side of the roulades with tooth picks.
- Gently roll the chicken in flour, dip in the egg mixture and gently coat with the bread crumbs.
- Prepare a large baking dish, Cut 4 pieces of foil,coat it with olive oil.Gently place the roulade into the foil,Close each foil package letting the top slightly open and loose. Sprinkle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove chicken from foil, place it back into the dish and finish to bake 1o to 15 minutes more until well golden brown and cooked through.
- While chicken is in the oven, boil cauliflower, then drain well and saute gently in skillet with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Season well before serving.
- Cut in wheels and serve each chicken on plates, sprinkle with grated parmesan, with cauliflower, potatoes sautees or rice.