It all started when I was preparing a main dish for a party, inspired by an Asian recipe …while shaping the meatballs I decided to make them smaller, and to it serve just as a spicy large appetizer, using lettuce leaves as spoons and small forks or toothpicks for grabs.
The red curry or if you prefer simply curry powder brings up a little fire which is tamed by the coconut milk. .. A delight! You will get a lot of enthusiastic compliments from your guests!
Ingredients: Serves 10
- 1 lb. ground lean beef
- 2 mild Italian sausages, casing removed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 to 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. red curry paste or curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk refrigerated
- 1 to 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup warm chicken broth
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- basil or mint for garnish
- salt, fresh ground pepper, dried herbs mix
- Sprinkle flour on a plate.
- In a large bowl, mix well ground beef with broken sausage chair, sprinkle lightly with salt and fresh ground pepper. Shape beef mixture into small ball about 1-inch in diameter, roll meatballs into the flour, just dusting them with it.
- Line a large plate with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok, over high heat. Working in batches, add meatballs, browning them all over, tilting the pan to cook them through. Transfer to the paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon, repeat with remaining beef.
- While the meatballs are browning, heat the broth in a small pan to slightly warm.
- Wipe the skillet or wok , add 2 Tbsp. oil, saute’ onions. then the curry powder, combine and cook for 1 minute or 2 to release all curry aromas. Stir well, add coconut milk, peanut butter, and some broth. Stir very well to prevent sticking. Your sauce should be thick, silky and smooth. Taste, then add fish sauce and sugar. Adjust seasoning with more curry powder or salt and pepper, using more broth to adjust the sauce consistency if necessary Add meatballs to the curry sauce on low heat, until hot for 2 3 minutes.
- Serve on a large serving platte with boston lettuce leaves to be used as cups.
Tips: meatballs can be made 1 day or 2 ahead, when ready to prepare, bring them at room temperature to be added to the sauce