This is finally the evening when you need a fast paced excellent menu,keeping some favorites with a creative gourmet touch of class!! The sauce here creates an elegant silky garnish to the salmon fillets. Add your (his or hers) favorites sides, keeping it light, so you can share a nice dessert and glass of bubbles!
All of you the Valentines, get in the kitchen quickly tomorrow, with this dish you can show off your culinary talents, and please do not to forget your best serving dishes, and candles!!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 2 pieces skinless preferably center cut organic Pacific salmon fillets
- 2 to 3 medium to large shallots, sliced
- 2 oranges, juiced – 1 for the vinaigrette
- 1 orange sliced for garnish
- 4 tablespoons French Cognac, like Courvoisier
- 2 teaspoons soy
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 generous teaspoon dried French thyme
- 2 teaspoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup warm vegetable broth or water
- Pre heat the oven at 390F.
- In sealing plastic bags, add fillets,1 Tbsp. of olive oil, the soy. 2 Tbsp. Cognac. Seal and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to and hour.
- When fillets ready, cut 2 pieces of foil, place each salmon fillet in the center, sprinkle with dried thyme, salt and pepper, add few shallots slices around, drizzle with the marinade, adding 1/2 butter on top of each one. Bring foil sides slightly together,do not close complexly foil packets, leave an opening. Place packets in a baking dish, bake salmon for 20, 25 minutes, till salmon is cooked through, ( you can check it at mid- cooking time).
- While salmon fillets are baking, heat over medium remaining olive oil in a medium skillet, add shallots slices, saute’ till soft and tender, about 2 minutes, then add Cognac, salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes more, till sauce thickens.If sauce is too thick add 1/4 warm vegetable broth, or warm water. When done, keep warm, covered.
- Meanwhile If you are serving barley, cook following package directions. If serving with mixed French greens, prepare, a citrus vinaigrette made with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1+1/2 orange juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste, adjust pepper, adding 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to balance acidity, if needed.
- To Finish and Serve :
- Remove salmon fillets from oven. Keep them warm in their foil packets, while finishing the sauce. Quickly heat sauce gently, add cream, mix well. Cover to keep warm.
- On each plate, start placing 2 Tbsp. of barley, top with 1 Tbsp. of sauce, (if serving the salad top with1 Tbsp. of vinaigrette) then top with salmon fillets, drizzle with the cooking juices from the foils packets, and some more sauce. Garnish plates with oranges slices and serve immediately. 35 minutes to the table and it’s fabulous!!