I love this recipe, that I found in my recipes library, for the delicate yet spicy asian flavors and the easy way you can prepare it ahead or just on the spot for a quick dinner. The peanut sauce prepared at home is more intense than the one bought in the store, you can adjust the spices as you like it to make it hot or just mild. It takes almost as much as long to soak the skewers (to keep them from burning), than to prepare the all dish ..is that easy…isn’t that wonderful for us busy cooks?
The quantities here are for a dinner for 4 to 6 or for 20 appetizers…versatile and so flavorful!
The chicken skewers
- 1 lb about 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium garlic gloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- kosher salt, generous pinch of freshly ground pepper
The peanut sauce
- 1/2 cup or more crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- pinch of cayenne
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water for 1/2 an hour at least.
Let’s cook :
- Soak bamboo skewers in water, in flat oven dish.
- From the chicken halves trim fat excess, then cut them into 1/2 inch slices like chicken tenders. You should have 6 slices per breast keep it in this way for a main course or curt slices again crosswise again. If you are using chicken tenders for appetizer cut it in half too,
- In a medium bowl combine 1 Tbsp of soy sauce and 1 of lemon juice, garlic, oil, curry powder, salt and a good grind of pepper. Add chicken, toss well to coat chicken all over, cover with plastic wrap and marinate 1/2 hour up to 1 hour at room temperature. Making ahead you can marinate the chicken for 24 hours covered into the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining teaspoons of lemon juice and soy with peanut butter, coconut milk, sugar cayenne as you like it and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Once chicken has marinated using a large plastic cutting board, work on the chicken tenders, threading each one on skewers. Remember to wash your hands afterwards.
- Coat a large skillet with one or 2 Tablespoons of oil, when oil is warm, brown chicken till golden and cooked thru, working in batches if needed. Add marinade when all done, scraping meat trips, cook for 2 minutes at a low heat. Reserve covered with foil until all skewers are done.
- Meanwhile gently warn the sauce, adding 1 teaspoon or two of water if too thick.
- Serve sates with peanut sauce with big large Boston salad leaves mixed with with shredded carrots for freshness.
Cooking tips: I discovered that using dry minced garlic adds a lot of flavor to the marinade, more than using fresh gloves minced.
I like the skillet method but you could also broil the skewers under oven broiler. Place the rack as close as possible to the broiler, on high. Place chicken skewers on a broiler pan and broil for 8 minutes, turning once.
Safety: Remember to wash your hands well each time you handle raw chicken.