Making it simple, fast and delightful for a Sunday’s lunch it goes to only one cooking method: Chop it!!
So I did today, with 2 beautiful healthy chicken breasts sitting in my refrigerator, some herbs, spices, green onions, a fantastic bag of frozen Fry organic vegetables and a half a glass of… Moscato d’Asti, yes the kind of sweet Italian sparkling dessert wine, for the marinade. No white wine in my cellar, the Moscato bottle was already open, why not use it!? It came out surprisingly pretty good!
My Szechuan chicken has a lot of ingredients, so I will not hold you any longer, let’s chop it and cook it in 30 minutes…
Ingredients : serves 4
- 1 pound of organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves, flattened and chopped into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. light olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 fresh garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder or 1 Tbsp. peeled fresh ginger, grated.
- 2/3 cup fat free lower sodium organic chicken broth, divided
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh (only) orange juice
- 2 Teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon or 2 chili paste
- 1 fresh medium tomato chopped
For the marinade
- 1 cup white wine preferably dry (here was sparking Moscato)
- 2 full teaspoons dry thyme
For the Stir Fry organic vegetables
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 red bell pepper cut diagonally thin
- 1/2 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas diagonally cut
- 1 cup peeled carrots diagonally cut in sticks
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup water chestnut from a store bought can
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup warm water or chicken broth.
1.Combine chicken, dried thyme and moscato or white wine in a sealed plastic bag, shake it, refrigerate 1/2 hour to 2 hours.
2. Heat a large wok skillet, add sesame or olive oil, remove chicken from bag, discard marinade, stir fry until chicken has browned well, then add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, fresh tomato, 1/2 chicken broth, stir, then add honey, fresh orange juice, chili paste if using, salt in moderation.fresh pepper. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes more till chicken is coated and has still some liquid in the bottom of tthe wok.
3. Meanwhile, in a second skillet, add 1 Tbps. of oil, saute’ peanuts 30 seconds, remove then add all vegetables back to the skillet, saute’ 2 minutes, then add water or chicken broth cover and cook till sauce is thick.
4. When vegetables are soft yet still crunchy. add them to the chicken wok, mix chicken and vegetables stir frying for 1 minute more and serve immediately very warm over rice if you like it.
Some useful suggestions: To make it fast, you can skip the marinade step and have the breasts halves cut in small pieces without flatten them It will be tasteful anyway.
I have used a frozen package of organic stir fry vegetables that heat up in small wok in 5- 6 minutes. If using fresh vegetables, buy pre-cut as much as possible to make it easier and faster. When mixed to the chicken wok they will absorb all flavors from the sauce.
This recipe is so versatile, add vegetables and herbs from your refrigerator to make it your new Sunday wonderful creation!