This is great for a Father’s Day picnic or any other outdoors funny times with friends and family. Easy food on the go but good food my friends. It’s the week-end but already feels like vacations!
So, It’s time to pack up a picnic! The High Mile sandwich shows off a lot of gourmet flavors: roasted pork or turkey, provolone, yellow and red peppers, coleslaw, bacon, pickles, thousand islands sauce (or mayo) in a sesame bun!! That is a sandwich!
I promise, if you bring this sandwich super packed with goodness to a picnic, everyone will want more, so double the count to make it right for everybody appetite!
- 10 to 12 fresh sesame buns
- 20 medium thick slices of pork or turkey roast
- 12 slices crispy bacon
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 2 + 1/2 cups coleslaw
- 2 cups yellow/red peppers thin sliced, then sauté’
- 10 good quality pickles, cut in half
- Thousand islands sauce or mayonnaise
- Pre-heat oven at 400F. Quickly warm up the bread, then remove and let it cool,
- Start by slicing pickles in half or a third, reserve. Then slices the peppers and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium high, crisp the bacon slices at your taste, reserve. Keep a third of fat and sauté the peppers in the same skillet, 2 to 3 minutes till slightly cooked but firm. Reserve.
- Lay on a large plate roasted pork or turkey slices.
- It is time to assemble the your sandwiches:
- On a large cupboard, lay bread halves, spread lightly each one with the thousand islands sauce (or mayonnaise).
- Then add provolone slices, followed by some peppers, then add the meat, using 1 or 2 slices of roasted pork, then coleslaw, bacon and pickles cut in half.
- Top the sandwiches well adding the last halve.
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
4 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup grated yellow onion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley