Hello my friends,
I want to share with you this authentic Italian recipe form Sicily, that I tasted during a recent visit in ..New York City at the Eataly store, see http://www.eataly.com/.
The store is a fantastic Italian shopping and eating experience in the heart of the American city.When I am there, It makes me feel like I am back in the country for few hours! Uhmmmm che bello!!!
The Pesto alla Trepanese, or ‘ agghiata trapanese” is an ancient recipe coming from western Sicily readapted from the pesto genovese. Yes, basil and garlic are the basic ingredients of all pestos,plus in here two authentic Sicilian produce, the hearty rich sunny tomatoes of the island of Sicily and peeled almonds, all enhanced by a good sprinkle of Pecorino.
The combination is a light, very flavorful, fresh and slight crunchy delicate pesto sauce, perfect for long pasta, like fettuccine or linguine, over meat, or crostini for a super tasty bruschetta!
Bene ecco qui :
Ingredients : Serves 4 to 6
- 1 handful (about 15) basil leaves, washed and dried
- 4 garlic gloves, peeled crushed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, peeled
- 3/4 of a pound sweet organic, good quality tomatoes or ‘pomodorini’, peeled
- 1/2 sea salt, and more for pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon peperoncino (optional)
- 1/2 or less cup or more extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Pecorino romano or more
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- Quick saute’ almonds with a small teaspoon of olive oil till golden. Then reserve.
- Plunge fresh tomatoes in a boiling water, for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain them over paper towel, let it cool briefly, and peel them.
- Add tomatoes to a blender, add basil, almonds and pulse till pureed. Add salt and Pecorino cheese, the peperoncino if you like it, pulse again till you get a sleek puree. Then with the machine running add olive oil, pulse briefly to make the sauce silky.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, adjust salt and pepper.
- Boil a large pot of salted water. When water boils add linguine and cook it ‘ al dente. Keep 2 teaspoons of boiling water.
- Drain well, add pasta to a large serving plate, add pesto (add a little of pasta water to emulsify it if necessary)
- Mix well and serve almost lukewarm with a final sprinkle of Pecorino.
Buon Appetito a voi…
Don’t forget, the freshness and good quality of ingredients are very important to make this pesto a splendid summer sauce!